Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Jermell Charlo clashed to headline a PBC Boxing PPV event. Dubbed as “Undisputed vs Undisputed”, the event took place on September 30, 2023, at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, NV.
- Date: September 30, 2023
- Location: T Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, NV, US
- Start Time: Main Card – 8 PM ET, Prelims – 6 PM ET
- Main Event: Saul “Canelo” Alvarez(c) vs Jermell Charlo – 12 rounds bouts for WBA(Super), IBF, WBO & WBC Super Middleweight Championship
- Winner: Saul “Canelo” Alvarez(c) won via unanimous decision(119-108, 118-109, 118-109)
- Jesus Ramos vs Erickson Lubin – 12 rounds Super Welterweight bout(More details)
- Winner: Erickson Lubin won via unanimous decision(115-113, 116-112, 117-111)
- Yordenis Ugas vs Mario Barrios – 12 rounds bout for Interim WBC Welterweight Championship(More Details)
- Winner: Mario Barrios won via unanimous decision (117-108, 118-107, 118-107)
- Elijah Garcia vs Armando Resendiz – 10 rounds Middleweight bout(More details)
- Winner: Elijah Garcia won via TKO at 1:23 of round 8
- Frank Sanchez vs Scott Alexander, 10 rounds, Heavyweight Bout
- Winner: Frank Sanchez won via TKO(corner stoppage) at 3:00 in round 4
- Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs Isaac Rodrigues, 8 rounds, Light Heavyweight Bout
- Winner: Oleksandr Gvozdyk won via KO at 0:39 in round 2
- Terrell Gausha vs KeAndrae Leatherwood, 8 rounds, Middleweight Bout
- Winner: Terrell Gausha won via majority decision(78-74, 78-74, 76-76)
- Curmel Moton vs Ezequiel Flores – 6 rounds Super Featherweight Bout
- Winner: Curmel Moton won Ezequiel Flores via TKO at 1:58 in round 1
- Gabriel Gollaz Valenzuela vs Yeis Solano, 8 rounds, Super Lightweight Bout
- Winner: Gabriel Gollaz Valenzuela won via KO at 2:33 in round 6
- Curmel Moton vs Ezequiel Flores, 6 rounds, Super Featherweight Bout
- Winner: majority draw(39-37, 38-38, 38-38)
- Bek Nurmaganbet vs Abimbola Osundairo, 6 rounds, Super Middleweight Bout
- Winner: Bek Nurmaganbet won via split decision
Canelo Alvarez returned to action in May 2023 after a hand surgery. He defeated John Ryder on May 6, 2023, in Mexico to retain his undisputed super middleweight titles. He wanted to face Dmitrii Bivol to avenge his loss to him in May 2022 for WBA(super) Light Heavyweight Championship. However, a deal could not be struck with Bivol.
Canelo then called out WBC Middleweight Champion Jermall Charlo and started a discussion for a fight on September 16, 2023. Jermall, however, was dealing with injury and was not able to fight in September. Jermall’s younger brother and undisputed super welterweight champion Jermell Charlo agreed to face Canelo in this super fight, which was moved to September 30 to give Jermell proper time for preparation. The event was dubbed as “Undisputed vs Undisputed” as it was the first time that reigning undisputed champions from two different divisions were facing each other.
Nevada State Athletic Commission revealed judges and referees for the fight between Canelo and Charlo on September 19. Harvey Dock was proposed to be the referee while Max DeLuca, David Sutherland and Steve Weisfeld were the three judges scoring the fight.
Canelo’s Recent Fights
Canelo defeated Caleb Plant in November 2021 to become undisputed super middleweight champion. He then moved up to face Dmitry Bivol for WBA Light Heavyweight title in May 2022, where he suffered his second career defeat via unanimous decision. He bounced back to beat Gennadiy Golovkin in their trilogy bout to retain his super middleweight titles. He returned in May 2023 to beat John Ryder in his first fight in Mexico in 12 years
Charlo’s Recent Fights
Charlo avenged his only career loss so far against Tony Harrison in December 2019 while also winning back WBC Super Welterweight Championship. This also started his journey to become an undisputed champion in the division. Charlo then defeated Jeison Rosario via eighth-round knockout in September 2020 to add IBF and WBA titles. This was followed by a split draw against Brian Castano in a fight for undisputed title at 154 lbs. A rematch was followed in May 2022 where Charlo came out on the winning side to become the undisputed champion.
On the PPV undercard, Jesus Ramos and Erickson Lubin was set for 12 rounds super welterweight bout. Ramos was unbeaten heading into this bout with 20 win and was on fourth PBC PPV undercard in a row. He defeated Joey Spencer on the undercard of Benavidez vs Plant PPV. Lubin lost to Sebastian Fundora in April 2022 in a bout for interim WBC title at 154 lbs. He had since defeated Luis Arias in June this year.
Elijah Garcia and Armando Resendiz were also set to clash in a middleweight bout on the PPV portion. Both men fought earlier this year on Brandon Figueroa vs Mark Magsayo undercard in separate bouts. Garcia was unbeaten since 2020 in 15 bouts with the last of his appearance coming at Gervonta Davis vs Ryan Garcia card. Resendiz had not fought since beating Jarrett Hurd in March.
Yordenis Ugas and Mario Barrios were set to battle for interim WBC Welterweight title in a 12-round bout on the main card. Former WBA(Super) Welterweight Champion, Ugas lost to Errol Spence Jr. in his last bout in April 2022. Barrios, former super lightweight champion, lost to Gervonta Davis and Keith Thurman before beating Jovanie Santiago to win WBC Continental Americas welterweight title in February 2023.
Tale of the Tape
|Boxer Name||Saul Alvarez||Jermell Charlo|
|Height||5′ 8″||6′ 0″|