WWE 2K23 is the next video game in the WWE 2K video game series from WWE and it comes with a significant buzz from wrestling games fans due to the popularity of 2K22.
After the lackluster performance of 2K20, 2K games skipped the production of 2K21. The studio instead focused on a revamp and took its time to properly develop 2K22. The resulting product was received extremely positively by the fanbase apart from some minor glitches here and there.
Now, they have a task to repeat and better its success with 2K23. So, what do we know about WWE 2K23 video game so far. Continue reading to know more.
The Icon Edition of WWE 2K23 will release on March 14, 2023. The standard edition and deluxe editions will release on March 17, 2023.
The gameplay trailer for the game was released on February 1, 2023, featuring footage of several superstars from the roster and the new WarGames match.
Almost all of the WWE Superstars from the current WWE Roster are expected to be part of the WWE 2K23 roster. Alternate models and 2K Showcase unlockables will be available as additional bonuses. Musician Bad Bunny will be a special attraction that will only be available on pre-order of the game. Logan Paul is also confirmed to be part of the roster with John Cena and Austin Theory. The confirmed list of wrestlers in the WWE 2K23 roster is as follows:
- A – AJ Styles (89), Akira Tozawa, Alba Fyre, Alexa Bliss (85), Aliyah (76), André the Giant, Angel Garza, Angelo Dawkins (80), Apollo Crews, Asuka (89), Austin Theory (82), Axiom
- B – Bad Bunny(Bad Bunny Pack Bonus), Batista, Bayley (91), Becky Lynch (96), Beth Phoenix (87), Bianca Belair (95), Big Boss Man, Big E (88), Bobby Lashley (92), Boogeyman, Booker T, Braun Strowman (89), Bret “The Hit Man” Hart, Brie Bella, British Bulldog, Brock Lesnar (97), Brock Lesnar ’01(Ruthless Aggression Pack), Bron Breakker, Bruno Sammartino, Brutus Creed, Butch (81)
- C – Cactus Jack, Cameron Grimes, Carmella (79), Carmelo Hayes (82), Cedric Alexander, Chad Gable (77), Charlotte Flair (94), Chyna (88), Cody Rhodes (91), Commander Azeez, Cora Jade (79), Cruz Del Toro
- D – Dakota Kai (80), Damian Priest (84), Dana Brooke (73), Dexter Lumis (80), Diesel, Doink The Clown (81), Dolph Ziggler (83), Dominik Mysterio (78), Doudrop(Piper Niven), Drew Gulak, Drew McIntyre (91)
- E – Eddie Guerrero, Edge, Elias (78), Eric Bischoff, Erik, Ezekiel (83)
- F- Faarooq, Finn Bálor (87)
- G- Giovanni Vinci, Gigi Dolin (81), Goldberg, Grayson Waller, GUNTHER (89)
- H – Happy Corbin (83), Hollywood Hogan, Hollywood Hogan (nWo 4 – Life Edition), Hulk Hogan (94), Humberto Carillo, Hurricane
- I – Ilja Dragunov, Indi Hartwell, IYO SKY (82), Ivar
- J – Jacy Jayne (80), JD McDonagh, Jake Roberts, Jerry “The King” Lawler, Jey Uso (90), Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart (86), Jimmy Uso (89), Jinder Mahal, Joaquin Wilde, JBL, John Cena, Johnny Gargano (84), Julius Creed
- K – Kane, Karrion Kross (86), Katana Chance (79), Kayden Carter (76), Kevin Nash, Kevin Owens, Kofi Kingston (89), Kurt Angle
- L – LA Knight (81), Lacey Evans, Liv Morgan (86), Lita (90), Logan Paul, Ludwig Kaiser
- M – MACE, “Macho Man” Randy Savage (89), Madcap Moss, Mansoor, Matt Riddle, Maryse, Molly Holly, Montez Ford (82), Mustafa Ali, MVP
- N – Natalya (82), Nikki A.S.H. (76), Nikki Bella, Nikki Cross, Nikkita Lyons, Noam Dar
- O – Omos (82), Otis (80)
- Q – Queen Zelina (74)
- R – Randy Orton (93), Raquel Rodriguez (83), Reggie, Rey Mysterio (82), Rhea Ripley (87), Rick Boogs (75), Ricochet (82), Ridge Holland (81), Rikishi, Rob Van Dam (92), Robert Roode, Roman Reigns (99), Ronda Rousey (93), Rowdy Roddy Piper, Roxanne Perez (81), R-Truth (72)
- S – Sami Zayn (84), Santos Escobar, Scarlett, Scott Hall, Scott Hall (nWo), Seth Rollins (92), Shanky, Shawn Michaels, Shayna Bazler (82), Sheamus (87), Shelton Benjamin, Shinsuke Nakamura, Shotzi (75), Solo Sikoa (82), Sonya Deville, Stacy Keibler, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, Stephanie McMahon, Syxx
- T – Tamina, T-BAR, Ted DiBiase, The Miz (85), The Prototype(Ruthless Aggression Pack), The Rock (96), Titus O’Neil, Tommaso Ciampa, Triple H, Trish Stratus (93), Tyler Bate, Tyler Breeze
- U – Ultimate Warrior, Umaga, Undertaker (95)
- V – Vader, Veer Mahaan
- W – Wes Lee
- X – Xavier Woods (88), Xia Li, X-Pac
- Y – Yokozuna
- Z – Zoey Stark
Editions & Cover Stars
John Cena is revealed to be the Cover Star for WWE 2K23. There are three different covers released for the game. First is the cover for standard edition featuring the current version of John Cena. The second cover is for Icon Edition which features John Cena from 2005 with spinner WWE Championship belt. The third cover is for Deluxe Edition featuring Dr. of Thugonomics version of John Cena.
Icon Edition Content
The icon edition of WWE 2K23 will give a 3-day early access to the gamers. The edition will also include the below cards and packs apart from several other packages which are part of Deluxe and Standard Edition:
- 1x Emerald Paul Heyman Manager MyFACTION Card
- 3x Deluxe Premium Launch MyFACTION Packs
- Bad Bunny Bonus Pack
- Playable Bad Bunny Character
- 1x Ruby Bad Bunny MyFACTION Card
Deluxe Edition Content
The deluxe edition, in addition to the Dr. of Thugonimics Cover, will have the below packages and card available:
- Season Pass Access (5x DLC)
- MyRISE Mega-Boost
- 1x Ruby John Cena MyFACTION Evo Card
- 1x Emerald Bianca Belair MyFACTION Card
- 1x Gold Asuka MyFACTION Card
- 1x Gold Edge MyFACTION Card
- 3x Basic Premium Launch MyFACTION Packs
WarGames match is announced as the new addition for the game this year. Previous leaks mentioned that there will be new features added to Elimination Chamber and Money in The Bank Ladder matches also, and both can feature up to 8 players each in Exhibition mode. Both these matches are also expected to be part of GM Mode but will be limited to 6 superstars each in that mode.
A full-fledged WarGames match is now part of WWE 2K23 as a new addition to the game this year. The match can be played in 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4 modes. The match is limited to be played in three arenas only – NXT WarGames arena, Surivivor Series arena and an additional(unrevealed) arena.
Although the match might feature 6 or 8 stars, only the two wrestlers starting the match will get entrances. Others will be inside the pods. The system chooses the WarGames Advantage for entry order at random.
Players can change to the two rings at any point in time. Players can change rings in a similar way as entering the ring. A hard whip can also send a player into the other ring. The trench area will also be in play where players can apply grappling moves and striking moves. Players can check for weapons under the table before they enter the cage. These weapons can which can be pre-selected in the weapons wheel in the game settings.
The confirmed playing modes in WWE 2K23 are as below:
- 2K Showcase
- My Universe
- My Rise
- My GM(General Manager)
- Creation Suite
General Manager Mode
It was earlier reported that My GM mode in WWE 2K23 will feature 10 playable managers. However, only Paul Heyman is confirmed as a playable manager in the game so far. It is also confirmed that you can create your own GM in this mode.
2K is advertising an enhanced and longer GM mode which is playable through multiple seasons. More variety is available in choosing match types and stipulations, more arenas and locations, and production elements.
2K Showcase Mode with John Cena
John Cena, the game’s cover star, features in Showcase mode of 2K23. The showcase mode is narrated by John Cena himself as this interactive mode transitions between gameplay and live-action footage to recreate Cena’s 20 years career.
However, in a major twist, the players have to play through some of classic moments and his famous opponents with the mission of beating Cena. His opponents include RVD(at ECW One Night Stand), and many others.
Other Modes Upgrades
There are some feature upgrades in the other modes as well.
MyFACTION allows players to collect Superstar and Legend cards and upgrade them, is now also available for online multiplayer gameplay. You can now compete in Weekly Towers and Faction Wars. New themed card packs and goals will be introduced throughout the year.
MyRise mode is also upgraded with new and distinct storylines for men and women division. Also, you can now import wrestlers created under Creation Suit into MyRise mode and build a career with them.
Upgrades to My Universe modes includes a reworked story system, ability to pick the actions and cutscenes among other minor tweaks.