Another superfight is on tap in 2023 as Terence Crawford vs Errol Spence Jr. undisputed welterweight title bout is reportedly a done deal.
Sources told ESPN’s Mike Coppinger told Crawford and Spence have agreed to a deal for a fight on July 29, 2023, at The T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, NV. The same date and location was earlier reported by The Ring Magazine also.
The deal was negotiated by PBC’s Al Haymon(Spence’s advisor) and CAA’s Ish Hinson(Crawford’s advisor). The event is set to air on Showtime PPV. Both Spence and Crawford are expected to get 8 figure payday(which means $10 million or more). The report also mentions that Crawford has signed with PBC in a 2-bouts deal.
Their is a bidirectional rematch clause which can be triggered by the losing boxer within 30 days of the fight. The rematch will be expected to take place later this year. If the fighters win 1 match each in the first two bouts, there is a possibility of a trilogy bout. Also, both fighters are expected to move up to super welterweight/junior middleweight after this.
Terence Crawford holds WBO World Welterweight Championship while Errol Spence Jr. has WBA(super), WBC and IBF World Welterweight titles. Coppinger also reports that the winner, who becomes the undisputed welterweight champion, is likely to push to face undisputed super welterweight champion Jermell Charlo. Terence Crawford has already been an undisputed champion in the super lightweight division.
The discussion for the fight between Crawford and Spence started last year, but the talks ended when Crawford moved forward to face David Avesanyan in December. Spence and Crawford were involved in a spat on Twitter over the issues during the negotiations.
The talks started once again earlier this year in a much more private manner and the fight was once on route to be announced by April 22, 2023, during Gervonta Davis vs Ryan Garcia PPV, expected to take place in July. However, a few things remained to be ironed out which saw a delay of over a month.