NJPW returns to the United States with the Battle in the Valley 2023 event on February 18, 2023. The event will take place at Civic Center in San Jose, CA, and will stream live via Fite TV PPV.
Mercedes Mone’s’ first NJPW match against KAIRI for IWGP Women’s Championship is scheduled for the show along with the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship match.
Continue reading to get all the details on NJPW Battle in the Valley 2023 event.
1. Bobby Fish vs David Finlay
In the first match on pre-show, David Finlay will take on Bobby Fish. This match comes through the rivalry between Team Filthy and Homicide. Fish has joined Team Filthy to help his former training partners. Homicide has recruited Finlay to his faction. Which team gets the win?
2. Alex Coughlin vs Jr Kratos
Alex Coughlin will face Jr Kratos in a rematch after a year. Coughlin defeated Kratos when he was on trial for Young Lion status. Will he be able to defeat Kratos once again?
3. KAIRI(c) vs Mercedes Mone’ – IWGP Women’s Championship
KAIRI became the first IWGP Women’s Champion at Historic X-over event in November 2022. She defended the title against Tam Nakano at Wrestle Kingdom 17. After the match, Mercedes Mone'(Sasha Banks) made her debut in NJPW and dropped KAIRI with statement maker. She then revealed that she will challenge for the title at Battle in the Valley.
4. Fred Rosser(c) vs KENTA – NJPW STRONG Openweight Championship
KENTA became the number one contender for NJPW Strong Openweight Championship as he won the Strong Survivor match at NJPW Strong Nemesis. He will face the champion Fred Rosser at this event.
5. Kazuchika Okada/Shingo Takagi(c) vs TBA – IWGP World Heavyweight Championship
NJPW announced that IWGP World title will be defended at Battle in the Valley 2023 event. Whoever emerges as the champion from the match between Kazuchika Okada and Shingo Takagi will face a new challenger.
6. Jay White vs Eddie Kingston
Jay White responded to a challenge from Eddie Kingston for a match, but said it has be at Battle in the Valley. Kingston agreed.
7. Tom Lawlor vs Homicide – Filthy Rules Match
Tom Lawlor and Homicide will clash in a match as their rivalry continues. The match is going to be a Filthy Rules matches – a stipulation from Tom Filthy himself who described it as “no rules, no ropes” match.
8. Motor City Machine Gun(Chris Sabin & Alex Shelley)(c) vs West Coast Wrecking Crew(Royce Isaacs & Jorel Nelson) – NJPW Strong Openweight Tag Team Championship
Motor City Machine Gun pairing of Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley will face West Coast Wrecking Crew in their defense of NJPW Strong Openweight Tag Team Championship.
9. Josh Alexander, Rocky Romero, Adrian Quest & Mascara Dorada vs Kushida, Volador Jr., Kevin Knight & The DKC
IMPACT World Champion Josh Alexander will appear on NJPW’s show as he teams up with Rocky Romero and others to face Kushida’s team of Kevin Knight, The DKC and Volador Jr.