Canelo Alvarez’s Next Fight: vs. Dmitry Bivol (May 7, 2022)

Canelo Alvarez vs Dmitry Bivol

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is one of the most dominant boxers in modern boxing history. He has established himself as the “formidable body puncher” and his abilities have won several world titles in four different divisions from Light Middleweight to Light Heavyweight. Recently, Canelo became the very first boxer in history to become the undisputed champion in the Middleweight division by winning all four of IBF, WBA(super), WBC and WBO titles. 

Canelo Alvarez’s upcoming opponents are always a topic of curiosity among the fans. Keep on reading to know everything about Canelo Alvarez’s next fight. 

Who Will Canelo Alvarez Face Next?

It has been confirmed that Canelo Alvarez will fight Dmitry Bivol in his next fight. Alvarez will not be defending any of his titles in this upcoming bout as he will challenge Bivol for his Light Heavyweight title. 

Dmitry Bivol is still undefeated in his pro-boxing career, winning all of his 19 bouts and managing to get a finish a total of 11 times. He has held the WBA(super) Light Heavyweight title since 2017. He defeated Umar Salamov, Craig Richards, and Lenin Castillo in his last three fights via unanimous decision. Bivol won the vacant WBA Light Heavyweight title back in 2016 after defeating Felix Valera. Currently, he is the no. 3 ranked Light Heavyweight boxer by BoxRec, and no. 2 ranked active light heavyweight boxer by ESPN, The Ring, and Transnational Boxing Ranking Boards. 

Canelo Alvarez’s Next Fight Date

Canelo Alvarez vs Dmitry Bivol Super Light Heavyweight bout is all set to headline the DAZN pay-per-view event on May 7, 2022. It will take place at the T-Bar Arena in Paradise, Nevada, US. Dmitry Bivol will get the 30% of the PPV share. He is confirmed to go home with $2,000,000 after the match. On the other hand, Canelo Alvarez will get the 70% PPV share. 

Canelo’s team first announced that he would fight Ilunga Makabu for his WBC Cruiserweight championship. However, the fight didn’t become a reality as Makabu had to defend his title against the mandatory challenger in a rematch against Thabiso Mchunu. 

In February, Alvarez inked a new two-fight deal with Matchroom Boxing. Now, the first fight of this deal will feature him challenging the long-reigning champion Dmitry Bivol. In March, Matchroom Boxing confirmed the bout for T-Mobile Arena. Now, there is a lot of curiosity to see whose winning streak will be snapped on May 7.

Canelo Alvarez Current Record

Canelo Alvarez only lost once during his entire professional boxing career whereas two of his matches ended in a draw. His current boxing record is 57-2-1. Alvarez’s only loss came against Floyd Mayweather Jr. The latter defeated him via majority decision back in September 2013. Since then, Canelo Alvarez hasn’t lost any matches. His most recent win came against Caleb Plant via TKO in Round 10 last year in November to complete the quest for the undisputed super-middleweight champion.

Now, Canelo must be looking forward to keeping his winning streak going when he faces the undefeated Dmitry Bivol on May 7. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.