Canelo Alvarez will the main event a Matchroom and Dazn boxing event on May 7, 2022, against Dmitry Bivol at T-Mobile Arena. Alvarez will challenge for Bivol’s WBA(super) Light Heavyweight title.
Keep on reading to get the complete details on the Canelo Alvarez vs Dmitry Bivol Boxing PPV event.
Canelo Alvarez successfully unified all the major world championships and became Super Undisputed Middleweight champion. Now, he has his eyes set on the WBA (Super) Light Heavyweight Championship.
Initially, he wanted to challenge Ilunga Makabu for the WBC Cruiserweight title. However, the match didn’t happen as Makabu was forced into defending his title against Thabiso Mchunu.
After that Alvarez signed a new deal with Matchroom Boxing, and then the promotion announced that Alvarez would challenge Dmitry Bivol for the WBA (Super) Light Heavyweight title.
Dmitry Bivol is yet to face a defeat in his career, and Canelo Alvarez is determined to hand him his very first loss. The bout on May 7 will be Alvarez’s fourth title defense.
The tickets for Canelo Alvarez vs Dmitry Bivol WBA (Super) Light Heavyweight Championship bout at T-Mobile Arena can be booked via the below link. The price of the tickets starts from $500.
Tale of the Tape
|Boxer Name||Canelo Alvarez||Dmitry Bivol|
|Height||6’0 (172 cm)||6′4 (183 cm)|
|Reach||72″ (179 cm)||78 (183 cm)|
Undercard (Fight Card)
- Dmitry Bivol defeated Canelo Alvarez via unanimous decision (115-113, 115-113, 115-113) – 12 rounds bout for Bivol’s WBA light heavyweight title (Main event)
- Montana Love defeated Gabriel Gollaz Valenzuela via unanimous decision (114-112, 114-112, 114-112) – 12 rounds Super lightweight bout (Co-main event)
- Shakhram Giyasov defeated Christian Gomez via unanimous decision (98-89, 99-88, 99-88) – 10 rounds welterweights bout
- Marc Castro defeated Pedro Vicente Scharbaai via unanimous decision (60-54, 60-54, 60-54) – 6 rounds lightweights bout
- Zhilei Zhang def. Scott Alexander via KO in round 1 (1:54) – 10 rounds heavyweights bout
- Joselito Velazquez def. Jose Soto via TKO in round 6 (1:06) – 10 rounds flyweights bout
- Aaron Silva def. Alexis Espino via TKO in round 4 (1:17) – 8 rounds Super middleweight bout
- Elnur Abduraimov def. Manuel Correa via TKO in round 2 (2:43) – 8 rounds Super featherweight bout
- Fernando Angel Molina def. Ricardo Valdovinos Split Decision (56-57, 57-56, 58-56)- 6 rounds Light heavyweight bout
News & Updates
Feb 25, 2022: Canelo Alvarez vs Dmitry Bivol fight is confirmed to take place on May 7 under Matchroom Promotions. It was announced as a PPV on Dazn.
Mar 1, 2022: Boxingscene.com reported that Bivol vs Alvarez will be a non-title match if WBA would not approve the fight due to ongoing Russia-Ukraine fight.
Mar 2, 2022: T-Mobile Arena is announced as the venue for this event.
Mar 7, 2022: Dmitry Bivol said in an interview that he believes in himself to beat Canelo. “I believe in my skills and when I come to the ring I believe in my victory. I’m looking forward to May 7.”
Mar 21, 2022: Matchroom Boxing announced Montana Love vs. Gabriel Valenzuela & Filip Hrgovic vs. Zhang Zhilei bout for undercard.
Apr 2, 2022: Canelo gave props to Bivol as he told Boxing Scene, “He’s a champion. For me, it’s the beginning of making history. He’s a good champion.”
Apr 3, 2022: Bivol told Boxing Scene, “I believe in my skills. Every time, I enter the ring I believe I can beat my opponent.”
Apr 7, 2022: Eddie Hearn revealed that Canelo turned down the idea of a catchweight bout against Bivol. Also, there is no rehydration clause in the contract.
Apr 11, 2022: Former title challenger Oleksandr Gvozdyk was revealed as Canelo’s sparring partner for his training camp for this bout.
Apr 16, 2022: Promoter Eddie Hearn said that Bivol is Canelo’s toughest opponent since Floyd Mayweather. “I saw clips of Bivol. He’s looking sensational on the pads — his footwork, his movement, his punching power. I’m telling you now; this may be the toughest fight of Canelo Alvarez’s career outside of Floyd Mayweather.”
Apr 22, 2022: Russell Mora has been assigned as the referee while Tim Cheatham, Dave ‘Not Carl’ Moretti and Steve Weisfeld are announced as the judges for the fight between Bivol and Canelo.
Apr 24, 2022: When asked about wanting to become the undisputed champion at 175 lbs, Canelo replied, “I love boxing. I love a challenge. I love that adrenaline. I need to accomplish everything to be in the books of history of boxing. That’s why I’m here and I love what I do.”
Apr 30, 2022: Bivol told the Sun that he plans to capitalize on Canelo’s mistakes in their fight. “First of all, Canelo has had close fights and has been beaten before. Every boxer has certain qualities and makes mistakes. My goal is to capitalize on those mistakes in the fight.”