Pro-wrestling has its own terminology for many things including how they describe heroes and villains in their storytelling. Heroes are referred to as babyfaces, or simply faces, in pro-wrestling while villains are referred to as heels.
Turning from a face to heel or a heel to face is a big moment for a wrestler in terms of impactful moments, storytelling, and audience reception. These turns are important because if handled properly, they could propel a wrestler to greatness or will set them up for doom.
Check out the details of all the WWE superstars who turned heel or face in WWE in 2021-2022.
WWE Heels Turns in 2021-2022
- Nikki ASH: 10 January 2022 – Nikki turns on Rhea Ripley after a promo segment where Rhea broke their tag team partnership.
- Grayson Waller: 7 December 2021 – Waller attacked Johnny Gargano after his farewell speech at NXT 2.0.
- Von Wagner: 5 December 2021 – Wagner turned on tag team partner Kyle O’Reilly after they lost the NXT Tag Team title match against Imperium.
- Damian Priest: 21 November 2021 – Damian Priest has been under a character change for few weeks and likely turned heel as he broke Rick Boogs’ guitar at Survivor Series.
- Kevin Owens: 8 November 2021 – Kevin Owens turned heel on Big E after losing a match to Seth Rollins.
- Shotzi Blackheart: 29 October 2021 – Shotzi turned heel on Sasha Banks after Sasha inadvertantly cost her match against Charlotte Flair.
- Mustafa Ali: 11 October 2021 – Ali turned on Mansoor by attacking him backstage.
- Shelton Benjamin: 27 September 2021 – Benjamin has turned back heel after joining Hurt Business.
- Humberto Carrillo: 20 September 2021 – Carrillo has turned heel after joining Angel Garza in a tag team.
- Andre Chase: 14 September 2021 – Chase is working as a heel going forward with his new Andre Chase University gimmick.
- Carmelo Hayes: 14 September 2021 – Hayes has turned heel after joining Trick Williams.
- Elektra Lopez: 24 August 2021 – Lopez turned heel by joining Legado Del Fantasma.
- Mandy Rose, Gigi Dolin & Jacy Jane: 24 August 2021 – Rose is working as a heel on NXT return and Dolin and Jane have joined her stable.
- Becky Lynch: 21 August 2021 – “The Man” returned to WWE at SmackDown and is reportedly working as a heel after a squash win over Bianca Belair.
- Sasha Banks: 30 July 2021 – Sasha Banks attacked Bianca Belair after a tag team match with her.
- Diamond Mine(Roderick Strong, Hideki Suzuki, Tyler Rust): 6 July 2021- Roderick Strong came back in the Diamond Mine Heel stable with Hideki Suzuki and Tyler Rust with Malcolm Bivens as their manager at NXT Great American Bash.
- Jinder Mahal, Veer & Shanky: 10 May 2021- Jinder Mahal returned to WWE RAW with Veer and Shanky and the trio is working as heels.
- Hit-Row(AJ Francis, Ashante “Thee” Adonis & Briana Brandy): 5 May 2021- These three wrestlers appeared to help out Isiah Swerve Scott, which puts them in a heel role.
- Charlotte Flair: 12 April 2021- Charlotte Flair returned to RAW and cut a heel promo taking shots at Rhea Ripley and Asuka.
- Edge: 21 March 2021- Edge has likely turned heel after attacking Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns during their Universal title match at Fastlane 2021 PPV.
- Buddy Murphy: 5 March 2021- Murphy is heel once again now as he looked to align with Seth Rollins again.
- Chad Gable & Otis: 19 February 2021- The Alpha Academy pair turned heel on SmackDown after attacking Rey Mysterio and Dominik Mysterio after their tag team match.
- Apollo Crew: 19 February 2021- Crews has been teasing heel traits since January but turned completely after attacking Shinsuke Nakamura and then Intercontinental Champion Big E.
- Isiah “Swerve” Scott: 17 February 2021- Scott attacked Leon Ruff is working as a heel.
- Adam Cole: 14 February 2021- Adam Cole superkicked Finn Balor and then his own stablemate Kyle O’ Rielly at NXT TakeOver: Vengeance Day 2021.
- Sheamus: 1 February 2021- Sheamus attacked WWE Champion Drew McIntyre with a Brogue kick to complete his heel turn once again. He was swinging between heel and face in the last few months.
- Tamina: 5 February 2021- Tamina started teaming up with Natalya who was working as a heel.
- Jessi Kamea: 27 January 2021- Kamea turned heel on NXT after starting to team with Aliyah.
WWE Face Turns in 2021
- AJ Styles: December 20, 2021: AJ Styles turned face when Omos attacked him on RAW. He also worked as face on NXT in his feud with Grayson Waller.
- Xia Li: December 10, 2021 – Xia Li was shown in a positive note in vignettes before her SmackDown debut. The face turn was completed when she debut on SmackDown in helping out Naomi.
- Johnny Gargano: 19 October 2021 – Gargano turned babyface as he is now teaming with Dexter Lumis.
- Mustafa Ali: 23 August 2021 – Ali started coaching Mansoor and is teaming up with him.
- John Morrison: 23 August 2021 – Morrison cut ties with The Miz and is treated as a babyface.
- Doudrop: 21 August 2021 – Doudrop has cut ties with Eva Marie and is working as babyface ever since.
- Indi Hartwell: 17 August 2021 – Hartwell transitioned into a babyface during his love story with Dexter Lumis.
- Raquel Gonzalez: 27 July 2021 – Raquel is now working as a face after she was attacked by Dakota Kai. The face turn was confirmed after Kay Lee Rae(another heel) started a storyline with her.
- Toni Storm: 23 July 2021 – Storm debuted on SmackDown against a heel Zelina Vega. WWE is treating her as a face after the main roster call-up.
- Aliyah: 13 July 2021 – Aliyah turned on Robert Stone to turn face.
- Edge: 25 June 2021 – Edge returned to attack Roman Reigns and has been working as a face.
- Cameron Grimes: 15 June 2021 – Grimes saved Ted Dibiase from an attack from LA Knight and turned face.
- Jaxson Ryker: 31 May 2021 – Elias abandoned Ryker during his tag team match and this has led to Ryker turning into a babyface after that.
- Randy Orton: 26 April 2021 – Randy Orton started to team up with Matt Riddle is now a babyface.
- Natalya & Tamina Snuka: 11 April 2021- Tamina got a great reaction from the crowd at WrestleMania and the team is also working against a heel tag team of Nia Jax & Shayna Baszler. So, they are working as faces right now.
- Cesaro: 5 February 2021- Cesaro turned face after fist-bumping Daniel Bryan after a win over him.
- Billie Kay: 5 February 2021- Billie Kay has been swinging as face and heel but started to work as a sympathized character.
- Sheamus: 25 January 2021- Sheamus turned face briefly as he worked in a handicapped match against The Miz & John Morrison. He later teamed with other faces on SmackDown in a tag team match.
- Timothy Thatcher: 20 January 2021- Thatcher turned face after starting to team up with Tommaso Ciampa.
- Shinsuke Nakamura: 8 January 2021 – Nakamura turned face after a marathon run in the Gauntlet match at SmackDown. He cemented the turn by saving Daniel Bryan and Big E on 29 Jan.
Check here for the complete list of heels and faces in WWE.