Chris Jericho lost the match for IWGP Heavyweight Championship against Kazuchika Okada in the Main Event of Dominion on Sunday at Osaka-jo Hall in Osaka, Japan. In the post-match scene, Jericho has now set the match against Hiroshi Tanahashi.
After defeating Kenny Omega at AEW Double or Nothing, Chris Jericho faced off with Kazuchika Okada for IWGP Heavyweight Championship. The match took place at the main event of NJPW Dominion 2019. Hiroshi Tanahashi was at the commentary during the match.
In a very good match, Okada was able to retain the title but the finish came out of nowhere as both men tried to get the upper hand. Jericho locked in the Lion Tamer, but Okada escaped. A few moments later, Okada dodged Jericho’s Judas Effected. When Jericho went for the Code Breaker, Okada was able to carry his weight on top of him and sat down on him to get the pinfall.
After the match, Jericho attacked Okada and threw the referee out of the ring. After the Judas effect, he brought in a steel chair, put Okada’s head in between it and throws him into the ring post. He was then looking to powerbomb Okada through it, Tanahashi ran over to stop Jericho.
Security held back Tanahashi and Jericho cut a heel promo. He asked Tanahashi if he saw what he did to his friend, he always wins and is the greatest of all-time even in this bullshit country of Japan, before heading off.
Jon Moxley also won his match against Shota Umino in what was the first match of the night. Former NXT star Hideo Itami also made an appearance at the show and announced his entry for the G1 climax tournament for this year.
Results from NJPW Dominion 6.9
- Jon Moxley defeated Shota Umino
- Shingo Takagi defeated Satoshi Kojima
- Jyushin Thunder Liger and Yoshi-Hashi defeated Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr.)
- Taguchi Japan (Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson and Ryusuke Taguchi) defeated Bullet Club (Jay White, Chase Owens and Taiji Ishimori)
- Tomohiro Ishii defeated Taichi to become new NEVER Openweight Champion
- Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa) (c) defeated Los Ingobernables de Japon (Evil and Sanada) to retain IWGP Tag Team Championship
- Will Ospreay defeated Dragon Lee to become new IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion
- Tetsuya Naito defeated Kota Ibushi to become new IWGP Intercontinental Champion
- Kazuchika Okada defeated Chris Jericho to retain IWGP Heavyweight Championship