Rolando Romero and Ismael Barroso clashed to fight for the vacant WBA Super Lightweight Championship on May 13, 2023, at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas, NV.
Romero was supposed to challenge Alberto Puello, who was the champion until a few days back, but Puello was found positive for clomifene and was stripped of the title. The title was vacated and Romero had a new opponent in Ismael Barroso. Romero returned to the ring for the first time since losing to Gervonta Davis in May last year, which was his first in 15 bouts. He moved up to Super Lightweight division with this fight.
Barroso got a World title shot for the second time. He is a former interim champion in the lightweight division but had to move up to super lightweight after a string of losses, including one for the World title against Anthony Crolla. Barroso had just one loss in super lightweight division and was on 4-fights winning streak heading into this bout.
The main card, which started at 9 PM ET, also had Batyr Akhmedov vs Kenneth Sims Jr. bout for the eliminator for the same WBA Super Lightweight Title. The main card also had Rances Barthelemy vs Omar Juarez welterweight bout. The prelims started from 6:45 PM ET and featured 3 more bouts. Check below for results live from Rolando Romero vs Ismael Barroso event with complete fight card and other details.
- David Whitmire def. Javier Vargas via unanimous decision(39-37, 39-37, 39-37), 4 rounds, Super Welterweight Bout
- Chavez Barrientes def. Juan Centeno (60-54, 60-54, 60-54), 6 rounds, Super Bantamweight Bout
Prelims (6:45 PM ET)
- Justin Viloria def. Pedro Pinillo via TKO at 1:41 of round 4, 6 rounds, Junior Lightweights Bout (Watch Video)
- Michael Angeletti def. Michell Banquez via TKO at 1:15 of round 8, 8 rounds, Bantamweight Bout (Watch Video)
- Starling Castillo def. Esteuri Suero via unanimous decision(95-92, 95-92, 94-93), 10 rounds, Junior Welterweights Bout
Main Card (9:00 PM ET)
- Kenneth Sims Jr. def. Batyr Akhmedov via majority decision (114-114, 115-113, 116-112), 12 rounds, WBA junior welterweight Title Eliminator Bout
- Rances Barthelemy def. Omar Juarez via majority decision (95-95, 97-93, 98-92), 10 rounds, junior welterweight Bout
- Main Event: Rolando Romero def. Ismael Barroso via TKO at 2:41 of round 9, 12 rounds, Vacant junior welterweight Championship Bout